MRO’s annual HERO Award is a peer recognition program for individuals that have set a standard of excellence aligned with the theory and principles of high reliability organizations (HROs). MRO uses the HRO framework to advance its mission “to identify, prioritize and assure effective and efficient mitigation of risks to the reliability and security of the North American bulk power system by promoting Highly Effective Reliability Organizations® (HEROs).”
The HERO Award recognizes the individual achievements of industry leaders who aspire to shape the future of a highly reliable and secure power grid.
Nominees should exhibit the following HRO behaviors:
- Preoccupation with Failure and Risk:
- Focus on failures by looking twice at repeat problems; imagine what could fail, even if it hasn’t yet; ask tough questions, and seek out and encourage bad news.
- Reluctance to Simplify Interpretation:
- Embrace complexity of the bulk power system by investigating facts and rejecting overly simple diagnoses; be a skeptic and value other skeptics; commit to challenging the status quo.
- Sensitivity to Operations:
- Seek to fully understand how things work, not just how they are supposed to work; identify (and share) opportunities for improvement; don’t assign blame but rather empower others to speak up; promote teamwork and awareness through cross-functional collaboration.
- Commitment to Resilience:
- Promote awareness of risks and identify (and share) resilient behaviors for our industry; determine and train others on appropriate mitigation efforts; continually assess mitigation efforts for effectiveness and promote ongoing training.
- Deference to Expertise:
- Listen to (and leverage) the boots on the ground so decisions are informed by experts; develop communication tools for sharing information.
MRO is seeking nominees that demonstrate any of the above qualifications or have made other significant contributions in promoting HERO concepts across the MRO region.
Nominations can be submitted online here or through below QR code through October 2, 2023.
The award winner will be selected by the board’s Organizational Group Oversight Committee and will be honored during MRO’s Annual Member and Board Meeting on December 14, 2023.
Questions on the HERO Award should be directed to [email protected].