Manager of Reliability Performance
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter in an email to [email protected].
The Manager of Reliability Performance manages MRO’s Performance Analysis, Event Analysis, and Situational Awareness functions in the Reliability Analysis Department, which is comprised primarily of technical staff (engineers and power system operators). This position is responsible for identifying improvements to established processes and procedures, as well as developing enhancements to the program. This position also serves as a MRO representative to North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), Regional Entities, industry, and regulators. The Manager of Reliability Performance is a member of MRO’s leadership team and has the responsibility for identifying issues and proposing solutions that affect the workplace.
Connection: Place importance on relationships within MRO, across the ERO Enterprise, and industry as we do our work. Connection allows staff to leverage the expertise of others and appreciate differences.
Curiosity: The foundation for innovation and creating alternatives by being interested and asking questions. Curiosity aids us in exercising the principle of independence and being objective. It is the antidote to bias.
Commitment: Support MRO’s Vision, Mission, and Core Principles that embody our accountability to maintain the public trust as we do our work and use our funding wisely.
Competency: Apply knowledge, expertise, and experience with integrity to produce excellent work while being a thought leader.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages, mentors, and motivates the Reliability Analysis staff to ensure the execution of departmental activities in a manner that is rigorous, non-discriminatory, adequately documented, and appropriately coordinated with NERC to ensure a high level of effectiveness and efficiency is maintained
- Regularly represents and maintains intentional and productive relationships with the Electric Reliability Organization (ERO) Enterprise, registered entities, and regulators
- Contributes to the identification and execution of MRO’s strategic objectives, department goals, and the development and management of the Reliability Analysis department’s staff and budget
- Ensures timely knowledge by staying adequately abreast of changing technologies related to the reliability of the Bulk Power System (BPS) to help ensure that MRO maintains a consistent risk- based approach and application
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or another technical area directly applicable to the reliability of the BPS is required; Master’s Degree in Business or Engineering is desirable
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant power system reliability experience is with an understanding of BPS operations and planning is required
- The ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to both technical and non-technical audiences, and skills to present to large groups is required
- Professional Engineering license is desirable
- Certifications related to BPS operations such as NERC Certified System Operator are desirable
- A general understanding of protection systems and utility control systems, as well as experience with root cause analysis is desirable
- Previous management experience is desirable
- The Manager of Reliability Performance directly supervises a team of five engineers.
Physical Working Conditions and Travel Requirements
- Standard office environment, requires mobility and sedentary work
- Occasional use of Personal Protective Equipment at offsite locations
- Must be available outside of business hours to respond to employee and/or corporate matters
- Travel Requirement: Approximately 20%; this position requires the ability to obtain documentation to allow for travel to and from Canada