Internal Oversight Specialist
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter in an email to [email protected].
Internal Oversight Specialist cooperates with the Director of Finance and Risk Management in execution of the annual internal oversight plan. The internal oversight function supports the company’s strategy and business activities working closely with department and functional leaders to respond to its stakeholders and regulators requests for audits while facilitating transparency of operational performance across the organization. This role will ensure that our practices are in accordance with established policies and procedures, including current efforts related to registered entity and corporate data classification and handling, and adhering to our obligations under the Regional Delegation Agreement with NERC. The Internal Oversight Specialist will be responsible for ensuring that any mitigation activities identified from audit or review engagements are appropriately addressed and implemented.
Connection: Place importance on relationships within MRO, across the ERO Enterprise, and industry as we do our work. Connection allows staff to leverage the expertise of others and appreciate differences.
Curiosity: The foundation for innovation and creating alternatives by being interested and asking questions. Curiosity aids us in exercising the principle of independence and being objective. It is the antidote to bias.
Commitment: Support MRO’s Vision, Mission, and Core Principles that embody our accountability to maintain the public trust as we do our work and use our funding wisely.
Competency: Apply knowledge, expertise and experience with integrity to produce excellent work while being a thought leader.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that MRO is audit-ready for NERC and FERC oversight requests related to delegated functions
- Prepare for meetings with department and functional leaders for the purpose of audit planning, fieldwork, and reporting activities
- Document the business understanding, business objectives, risks, performance metrics, and key controls and testing strategies for each assigned audit engagement
- Support and document walkthroughs and testing of various processes
- Meet with appropriate persons to review audit findings and recommendations; and document the results of the meetings
- Prepare internal oversight reports related to findings and recommendations for delivery to management
- Document identified audit issues to ensure understanding, documentation, and ensure the process owner/unit management provides corrective actions
- Support the monitoring of mitigation plan progress and status
- Conduct internal process reviews for risk and control to ensure efficiency and effectiveness
- Identify changes in risk profile and test control methodologies, best practices, and emerging trends
- Lead and drive the integration of operational risk management, compliance, and internal controls
- Evaluate information to identify potential areas for improvement and maintain communication with key stakeholders
- Support management in the preparation of metrics/KPIs, presentations, and reports
- Support MRO’s corporate compliance and ethics program
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Administration, Business, Risk, or Accounting is preferred; Bachelor’s Degree in another discipline and directly related experience may be considered in lieu of disciplines listed
- Minimum of five years related experience with degree required; or ten years direct work experience
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) and Committee of Sponsoring Organizations (COSO) ERM Framework
- Advanced experience and knowledge in the evaluation and establishment of internal controls
- Advanced experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Professional Certifications is desired
- Individual contributor role, no supervisory responsibilities
Physical Working Conditions and Travel Requirements
- Standard office environment, requires mobility and sedentary work
- Lift, push, pull (up to 25 lbs.), climb, crouch, and kneel
- The Internal Oversight Specialist must be available outside of business hours to respond to corporate matters
- Travel Requirement: Limited