Senior Security Engineer
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter in an email to [email protected].
The Senior Security Engineer is responsible for working with Industry, Government, and MRO departments to identify needs and mitigate risks associated with maintaining, improving, and growing the security environment. This position provides technical advice on the security of the bulk power system (BPS) to the Director of Security.
Connection: Place importance on relationships within MRO, across the ERO Enterprise, and industry as we do our work. Connection allows staff to leverage the expertise of others and appreciate differences.
Curiosity: The foundation for innovation and creating alternatives by being interested and asking questions. Curiosity aids us in exercising the principle of independence and being objective. It is the antidote to bias.
Commitment: Support MRO’s Vision, Mission, and Core Principles that embody our accountability to maintain the public trust as we do our work and use our funding wisely.
Competency: Apply knowledge, expertise and experience with integrity to produce excellent work while being a thought leader.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the technical lead and department subject matter expert for cyber, physical, and operational security risks facing the North American Bulk Power System and Critical Infrastructures
- Regularly facilitate, coordinate, supervise (lead) threat meetings and routinely report back to organizational staff and leadership as appropriate
- Seek, identify, and enhance opportunities that enable awareness and dissemination of threats to MRO Members in coordination with the E-ISAC and MRO Security Advisory Council (SAC)
- Perform the annual department and SAC led Regional Security Risk Assessment processes
- Identify opportunities to lead and build small teams consisting of internal staff and external stakeholders to provide oversight with a focus on addressing security risks identified in the sector
- Provide 2nd level expert technical knowledge on cyber and physical security risks, incidents, and known vulnerabilities
- Support and lead efforts to conduct regular exercises of the internal MRO Emergency Management Plan and MRO’s coordinated role in GridEx activities
- Build, maintain, and leverage local, state, national and Canadian agency and E-ISAC relationships with security professionals in the Electric sector
- Prepare and provide security consultations, briefings, and bulletins to internal leadership, departments, and staff
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or other technical area directly applicable to the security of the Bulk Power System is required
- Proven track record of maintaining trust and confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- A minimum of ten years of relevant business continuity, risk management, audit, cyber, physical or operational security experience is required
- A minimum of two years of the Energy sector or other Energy Sector exposure is required
- The ability to effectively communication both orally and in writing, to both technical and non-technical audiences, and ability to present to large groups is required
- Certifications related to operations, risk management and/or security (e.g. CISSP, CISM, CISA, or CPP) are desirable
- Experience concurrently managing and coordinating multiple projects that impact people at different levels of a company
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate physical, IT, and cybersecurity related concepts to both technical and non-technical individuals at all levels of the organization
- Previous experience with the intelligence community, such as the DHS, FBI, Fusion Centers, E-ISAC, is desired
- Individual contributor role, no supervisory responsibilities.
Physical Working Conditions and Travel Requirements
- Standard office environment, requires mobility and sedentary work
- Travel Requirement: Approximately 25%; this position requires the ability to obtain documentation to allow for travel to and from Canada
- Clearance Requirement: This position requires Secret Clearance or the ability to obtain clearance (passing status for SF86-based, US government federal background check that includes a review of criminal history, citizenship, family, known associates, and an assessment of international business relationships and travel)
Job Description Acknowledgement
I have received, reviewed, and understand the job description for my position. I understand that I am responsible for the satisfactory execution of the essential functions described.