Planning for GridEx VIII
NERC’s Electricity Information Sharing and Analysis Center (E-ISAC) released the inaugural monthly GridEx VII Planner Newsletter in early November 2022. The E-ISAC is hosting GridEx VII, its seventh biennial grid security and resilience exercise, on November 14-15, 2023. More information about GridEx VII is available on the NERC website: https://www.nerc.com/pa/CI/ESISAC/Pages/GridEx.aspx.
The GridEx VII Planner Newsletter will be released on the first Monday of each month with milestones, upcoming events, and other important announcements. This newsletter contains links to Initial Planning Meeting (IPM) materials, information about upcoming events, and planner tips and tricks that will help you and your organization prepare for GridEx VII.
Here is information from the November issue of E-ISAC’s newsletter:
Training Needs and Education Survey (November 2022)
The Training Needs and Education Survey is designed to collect input on training webinar topics from Lead Planners and Planners. This should ensure that the training webinars deliver the most appropriate and necessary information for those involved. To provide your input on the GridEx VII webinar series, take the survey here.
GridEx 101 for Planners (January 2023)
The Planning Team is hosting a Planner training webinar in January 2023 to introduce Planners to the basics of GridEx and help new Planners jumpstart their planning process. Be on the lookout for registration information in the December newsletter.
Initial Planning Meeting
The IPM took place on October 25 and introduced Lead Planners and Planners to the GridEx VII objectives and scenario threads. Past Planners shared their experience with the GridEx series and common pitfalls for new Planners. Attendees also had the opportunity to ask questions. The IPM slide deck and recording are available on the GridEx VII Planner Resources site.
Please note that all registered GridEx VII Planners will receive an email invitation to join the GridEx VII Planner Resources site from a Hagerty Consulting email address.
Planner Tips and Tricks
As the Planning Team continues to develop the scenario timeline, we wanted to share five things Planners can do to improve their GridEx VII experience before the Master Scenario Event List (MSEL) is released:
- Recruit other Planners from your organization or partner organizations to support the exercise. Encourage them to register for GridEx VII so they can access the GridEx VII Planner Resources site. This site has a planner checklist, planner recommendations, a fact sheet, and other materials available.
- Reach out to your organization’s stakeholders and leadership to develop buy-in and determine the appropriate scope for the scenario.
- Identify the plans and policies your organization wants to exercise and other resources to use during GridEx VII planning.
- Use the GridEx VII Planner Resources site to stay on top of the latest planning resources.
- Communicate the exercise date to Players early to avoid conflicts. GridEx VII will take place on November 14 and 15, 2023.
If a registered Planner forwarded this email to you, be sure to register as a GridEx VII Planner here and encourage your peers to do the same. Thank you for your continued engagement in GridEx VII!
For more information or assistance, please email [email protected]